This protocol provides teachers the chance to complement existing biomedical science curriculum. The reagents in this DNA Detectives Investigations Reagent Pack allow students in a biomedical science program to run 2 restriction enzyme digests on DNA from 2 missing persons. Student will pour, load, and run a gel on the MiniOne Electrophoresis System, watch DNA separate in real time, and see how using restriction enzymes can aid in creating unique banding patterns of DNA between individuals. Students will analyze the DNA gels to determine which missing person has the same banding patterns as those from skeletal remains.
The entire lab can be completed in 2 classroom periods or one 90+ minute block, and helps show how restriction enzymes function.
Ideal for high school students, especially those in a biomedical science program.
Materials Included in each MiniLab:
Each reagent pack contains enough materials for 10 workstations, 2 – 3 students per workstation.
- Two Ready-to-Load DNA samples
- Two Undigested DNA samples
- Two restriction enzyme concentrates
- Enzyme dilution buffer
- MiniOne® DNA marker
- MiniOne Sample Loading Dye (5X)
- Ten 1% agarose GreenGel™ GelCups
- One bottle of 100 mL Tris-Borate-EDTA (TBE) buffer concentrate, enough to make 2L of 1X running buffer
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- One bag of 0.2 mL thin-walled PCR tubes
- One bag of 2 – 200 µL micropipette tips
- Teacher’s Prep and Student Protocol
**Please note the following equipment is REQUIRED but not included:
Utilize these teachers guides and classroom handouts to get the most out of your DNA Detectives Investigations Reagent Pack.
*Teachers, please contact us for password to access this file.