A comprehensive, 5E inquiry, week-long lesson plan that introduces students to separation science in a variety of contexts. Student-driven inquiry activities impart the scientific background needed to understand gel electrophoresis. The curriculum culminates in a gel electrophoresis experiment using colorful dyes. The curriculum is provided as a downloadable PDF manual which includes comprehensive background readings, student worksheets, and teacher support materials. Lab materials and a PowerPoint presentation are also included. Recommended for middle school students (grades 6-9).
Materials Included in Each MiniLab:
Each MiniLab contains enough materials for 10 workstations, 2 – 3 students per workstation.
- Ten 1% agarose gel cups
- Six color dye samples
- One set of filter papers and green food coloring for exploring paper chromatography
- One bottle of 100 mL Tris-Borate-EDTA (TBE) buffer concentrate
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- One bag of 1-200 µL micropipette tips
- Downloadable PDF manual which includes comprehensive background readings, student worksheets, and teacher support materials
Utilize these teachers guides and classroom handouts to get the most out of your NGSS-Aligned Color Dyes and Gel Electrophoresis MiniLab.
Please contact us for teacher’s guide, student guide, and other resources.