Ideal for 7-9th grade level students as a hands-on introductory lab to electrophoresis. With this MiniLab, students cast their own gels and run real DNA. Results can be visualized within a 45 minute class period, eliminating need for multiple sessions. Students also learn how to do a semi-log plot of known vs unknown samples.
- Give your students the complete hands-on experience of casting, loading, running, documenting, and analyzing electrophoresis gels.
- Students will develop an understanding of gel electrophoresis principles by observing separation of dye and DNA samples
- Students use their data to create a standard curve for DNA fragments of known molecular weight the calculate the weight of unknown DNA fragments
- An essential introduction to electrophoresis and one of our most popular labs
- Store in the refrigerator; GreenGel™ Cups should be left in the original package and protected from light; guaranteed stable for six months with proper storage
Materials Included in each MiniLab:
Each MiniLab contains enough materials for 10 workstations, 2 – 3 students per workstation.
- Ten 1% agarose GreenGel™ Cups
- Three color dye samples and three DNA samples
- One bottle of 100 mL Tris-Borate-EDTA (TBE) buffer concentrate
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- One bag of 2 – 200 µL micropipette tips
- Teacher’s guide
Use these teachers guides and classroom handouts to get the most out of your PTC Genetics MiniLab.
* Teachers, please contact us for password to access this file.