Here’s a fascinating lab perfect for Life Science and Biology students to help them develop a better understanding of genetics and how dominant and recessive traits affect our daily lives. Taste the PTC paper – are you a taster?
- Students construct a hypothesis about single trait Mendelian inheritance and design an experiment to test it
- Cast, load, and run DNA samples from a family to connect genotype to phenotype
- Construct a Punnett square and a family tree to explain experimental results
- Store in the refrigerator; GreenGel Cups should be left in the original package and protected from light; guaranteed stable for six months with proper storage
- Appropriate for high school students (grades 9-12).
Materials Included in Each MiniLab:
Each MiniLab contains enough materials for 10 workstations, 2 – 3 students per workstation.
- Ten 2% agarose GreenGel™ Cups
- Six pre-digested DNA samples
- Forty pieces of PTC tasting test paper
- One bottle of 100 mL Tris-Borate-EDTA (TBE) buffer concentrate
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- One bag of 2 – 200 µL micropipette tips
- Teacher guide
Utilize these teachers guides and classroom handouts to get the most out of your PTC Genetics MiniLab.
* Teachers, please contact us for password to access this file.