Here’s a fascinating lab perfect for Life Science and Biology students to help them develop a better understanding of genetics and how dominant and recessive traits affect our daily lives. This MiniLab contains materials for 30-40 students in groups of 10. Taste the PTC paper – are you a taster?
- Students construct a hypothesis about single trait Mendelian inheritance and design an experiment to test it
- Cast, load, and run DNA samples from a family to connect genotype to phenotype
- Construct a Punnett square and a family tree to explain experimental results
- Materials for 10 student groups: 2% Agarose GreenGel Cups, 100 ml TBE Concentrate, 40 PTC test papers, 6 DNA samples, micropipette tips, microcentrifuge tubes, a teacher guide & student worksheet
- Store in the refrigerator; GreenGel Cups should be left in the original package and protected from light; guaranteed stable for six months with proper storage