Teaching AP Biology? A Taste of Genetics MiniLab and extension activities are three Big Ideas in one comprehensive package. Together, these labs are an in-depth exploration of the TAS2R38 gene, covering hands-on genetic analysis, bioinformatics, population genetics, and evolution.
Materials Included in each MiniLab:
Contains enough of the following for 10 student groups, 2 – 3 students per group.
- Ten 2% Agarose GreenGel™ Cups
- One bottle of 100 mL TBE buffer concentrate, enough to make 2L of 1X running buffer
- DNA extraction solution
- Forward and reverse primers for PTC genes
- Taq polymerase master mix (2X)
- HaeIII restriction enzyme
- Restriction enzyme dilution buffer
- MiniOne® Sample Loading Dye (5X)
- MiniOne® Molecular Weight Marker
- One bag of 0.2mL thin-walled PCR tubes
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- Forty PTC taste strips
- 40 control taste strips (in orders placed after Feb 1, 2020)
- Ten racks of micropipette tips, 96 tips/rack, 1-200µL
Additional equipment required:
Centrifuge capable of spinning PCR tubes at a minimum of 8000 RPM, such as the MiniOne Multi-Speed Centrifuge
Use these teachers guides and classroom handouts to get the most out of your A Taste of Genetics MiniLab.
* Teachers, please contact us for password to access this file.