Ideal for 7-9th grade level students as a hands-on introductory lab to electrophoresis.
1 MiniLab is for 30-40 students (10 groups)
With this MiniLab, students cast their own gels and run real DNA. Results can be visualized within a 45 minute class period, eliminating need for multiple sessions. Students also learn how to do a semi-log plot of known vs unknown samples.
- Give your students the complete hands-on experience of casting, loading, running, documenting, and analyzing electrophoresis gels.
- Students will develop an understanding of gel electrophoresis principles by observing separation of dye and DNA samples
- Students use their data to create a standard curve for DNA fragments of known molecular weight the calculate the weight of unknown DNA fragments
- An essential introduction to electrophoresis and one of our most popular labs
- Materials for 10 student groups: 1% Agarose GreenGel Cups, 100 ml TBE Concentrate, 3 dye samples, 3 DNA samples, micropipette tips, microcentrifuge tubes, teacher guide & student worksheet
- Store in the refrigerator; GreenGel Cups should be left in the original package and protected from light; guaranteed stable for six months with proper storage
Visit the Gel Electrophoresis 101 MiniLab details page to download the latest teacher and student guides.