Bring polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and electrophoresis into your classroom with the Taste of Genetics PTC MiniLab! This fun and engaging Mendelian genetics lab allows students to identify their phenotype for bitter taste and investigate their genotype for the bitter taste gene, TAS2R38. Students will extract their own DNA, amplify a region of interest of the gene, use a restriction digest assay to cut the DNA, then separate and visualize the fragments using electrophoresis to determine the genetic profile of their TAS2R38 alleles.
- Teacher guide with background information, step-by-step procedures, questions for critical thinking, and sample answers for teachers
- Hands-on lab that can be completed in three 50-minute class periods
- Store at 4°C; GreenGel™ Cups should be left in the original box and protected from light
- Guaranteed stable for three months with proper storage
- Appropriate for high school life AP, honors and advanced biology students (grades 9-12)
Teaching AP Biology? A Taste of Genetics MiniLab and extension activities are three Big Ideas in one comprehensive package. Together, these labs are an in-depth exploration of the TAS2R38 gene, covering hands-on genetic analysis, bioinformatics, population genetics, and evolution.
Materials Included in each Taste of Genetics MiniLab, M6012:
Each MiniLab contains enough materials for 10 workstations, 2 – 3 students per workstation.
- DNA extraction solution
- Forward and reverse primers for PTC genes
- Taq polymerase master mix (2X)
- HaeIII restriction enzyme
- Restriction enzyme dilution buffer
- MiniOne® Sample Loading Dye (5X)
- MiniOne® Molecular Weight Marker
- One bag of 0.2mL thin-walled PCR tubes
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- 40 PTC taste strips
- 40 control taste strips (in orders placed after Feb 1, 2020)
Additional equipment required:
Centrifuge capable of spinning PCR tubes at a minimum of 8000 RPM, such as the MiniOne Multi-Speed Centrifuge
Choose a Taste of Genetics MiniLab package that fits your classroom needs:
Additional materials included in A Taste of Genetics MiniLab with Electrophoresis Reagents (M6010):
- Ten 2% Agarose GreenGel™ Cups
- One bottle of 100 mL TBE buffer concentrate
Additional materials included in A Taste of Genetics with Electrophoresis Reagents and Micropipette Tips (M6012):
- Ten racks of micropipette tips, 96 tips/rack, 2-200 µL
Use these teachers guides and classroom handouts to get the most out of your A Taste of Genetics MiniLab.
* Teachers, please contact us for password to access this file.